Fw: PLEASE READ : Sun Gnome2.0 UI translation

$B$3$N$h$&$J%a!<%k$,Mh$^$7$?!#(B
(B
(BBegin forwarded message:
(B
(BDate: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:55:20 +0100
(BFrom: Damien Donlon <Damien.Donlon@xxxxxxx>
(BTo: mawa@xxxxxxxxx, mbarreiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gpoo@xxxxxxxxxx, cgabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, redfox@xxxxxxxxxxx, godoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, nakai@xxxxxxxxxxx, lark@xxxxxxxxxxxx, maddog@xxxxxxxxxxxx, rainlood@xxxxxxxx, cyba@xxxxxxxx, menthos@xxxxxxxxxxx, gnome-i18n@xxxxxxxxx, gnome_int_l10n@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(BSubject: PLEASE READ : Sun Gnome2.0 UI translation
(B
(B
(B
(BHi All,
(BThis email is addressed specifically to the translation
(Bteam coordinators for Gnome but feedback from anyone
(Belse involved in Gnome translation is also very welcome.
(B
(BWith the kind help of Christian Meyer, Christian Rose, Keld
(BSimonsen & Abel Cheung we have put together a proposal for
(Bcoordinating the forthcoming Sun translation work for Gnome
(B2.0 UI messages. You will find it attached. Please provide
(Byour feedback on it as soon as possible so that we can
(Bmake any necessary changes to the process and get started with
(Bthis work.
(B
(BThank you!
(B
(BRegards,
(BDamien
(B
(B______________________
(BDamien Donlon
(Bdamien.donlon@xxxxxxx
(B00 353 1 8199225
(Bx19225
(B Proposal for forthcoming Sun Gnome 2.0 UI Translation Work
(B __________________________________________________________
(B
(B
(BThis document outlines a plan for coordinating translation work
(Bto be done by Sun for Gnome 2.0 UI messages. It is needed to :
(B
(B - avoid duplication of effort between Sun and community translators
(B - define a community review process for Sun translations
(B
(BThe current language list for which Sun is funding translations
(Band their corresponding community team coordinators is as follows :
(B
(B de         Matthias Warkus/Christian Meyer
(B es         Manuel de Vega Barreiro/Germán Poo Caamaño
(B it         Christopher Gabriel
(B fr         Christophe Merlet
(B pt_BR      Jorge Godoy
(B ja         Yukihiro Nakai
(B zh_CN      Wang Jian
(B zh_TW      Abel Cheung
(B ko         Noh Woo Kyong
(B pl         Zbigniew Chyla
(B sv         Christian Rose
(B
(B
(BWe wish to do rolling translations on 4 groups of modules and need
(Bto coordinate with the community translation teams to ensure there
(Bis no duplication of translation work.
(B
(BThe 4 groups of modules are :
(B
(B
(BGroup 1			Group 2			Group 3
(B_________________________________________________________
(B
(Bgdict			sawfish			libgnomecanvas
(Bgedit			yelp			libgnomeui
(Bggv			bonobo			glib
(Bghex			gnome-admin		at-spi
(Bglade			gnome-print		bonobo-activation
(Bgnome-applets		gtk+			eel
(Bgnome-control-center	gconf			eog
(Bgnome-core		gnome-vfs		gnome-desktop
(Bgnome-media		gtkhtml			gnome-games
(Bgnome-utils		gnome-i18n		gnome-mime-data
(Bgperfmeter		libbonobo		gnome-panel
(Bnautilus		libgnome		gnome-session
(B
(B
(B
(BGroup 4
(B______________________
(B
(Bgtkhtml2
(Blibbonoboui
(Blibglade
(Blibgnomeprint
(Blibgnomeprintui
(Blibwnck
(Blibzvt
(Bmetacity
(Bmetatheme
(Bprofterm
(B
(B
(BSome of these modules may currently have no translatable
(Bstrings as the listing is based on a search for po directories
(Bin the CVS tree used to build Gnome on Solaris. Also, some of
(Bthese modules may have complete translations for certain languages
(Balready.
(B
(BWe prefer to use the rolling translation model on groups of modules
(Bbecause doing translations for individual languages  on a individual module
(Bbasis would be difficult to coordinate over 11 languages and make a
(Bgeneric process for doing translation review and putbacks into the
(BCVS tree difficult.
(B
(BWe would like the process to work as follows :
(B
(B
(BWe will forward a translation schedule in due course listing dates
(Bwhen we will take each group of modules.
(B
(BOn these dates , coordinators would then suspend their translation
(Bwork on the modules contained in the group. We will then do analysis of the
(Btranslatable content and then come back to the coordinators with a
(Breturn date for the translated files on a per language basis within
(B1/2 days.
(B
(BTypically turnaround time is about 1500-2000 words per language per
(Bday but with QA andd proofreading generally we are talking about 5 days
(Bfor 5000 words or thereabouts. However, this may be shorter or longer
(Bdependent on the completeness of existing translations for the
(Blanguage.
(B
(BWe wish to ensure a complete community review of our
(Btranslations prior to them being put back into CVS and suggest
(Bthe following process :
(B
(B[1] Once Sun translation work has bee completed we will hand-off
(Bthe translated files to the community translation teams for review.
(BWe will also supply contact names for each language to whom
(Bcommunity translation team coordinators can send their review
(Bcomments. Team coordinators ONLY contact this person please!
(B
(B
(B[2] If a situation arises where things are not going well on either
(Bside for whatever reason then escalate it to Ashling Donagh
(B(ashling.donagh@xxxxxxx), otherwise no need to cc her on emails
(Babout the review.
(B
(B[3] When you review the translations you need to send commments NOT
(Bchanged files. Reason : Because our translators have been translating for
(BSun for years and they know our style guidelines and use our glossaries
(Bwe have to give their translations precedence (no offense!) for Gnome on
(BSolaris. But we do want to get community translator input on those
(Btranslations because of their familiarity with Gnome. Thus we ensure
(Bbest quality for all.
(B
(BProviding comments as opposed to changed files ensures that community
(Btranslation teams are free to implement whatever changes they think
(Bappropriate for the community release  once we commit them.
(B
(B[4] Our translators will implement the community translation team
(Bcomments. If they do not implement a comment they will flag it
(Band return it to the language team coordinator as "not implemented".
(BIf they make any additional changes to those messages already
(Btranslated by the community they will note it and flag as
(B"changed translated message".
(B
(B[5] If, after 7 days there is no feedback on the files sent
(Bto community teams for review then we will assume they are ok
(Band place them back into community CVS. If a community language
(Bteam is unable to provide feedback within 7 days but wish to do
(Bso, or if specific teams have specific 'commit' policy for putting
(Bback files then let us know. Otherwise, we shall just commit the files!
(B
(B
(B[6] One important note - everything we hand back will be in UTF-8
(Bencoding and the charmap fielf in the 1st msgid of the .po files
(Bwill be changed accordingly.
(B
(B
(BWhen all translations have been completed for all languages on a
(Bspecific group of modules then we will move on to the next group.
(B
(BIn summary the process would be :
(B
(B1. Sun inform community translation teams that they are taking
(B   a group of modules on a specific date.
(B2. Community translation teams freeze working on those modules
(B   at that date.
(B3. Sun provides community with expected file return date.
(B4. Upon translation Sun send files to community for review.
(B5. Community teams provide review comments within 7 days.
(B6. Sun implement review comments for Solaris Gnome release
(B   and flag any comments not implemented to community team
(B   coordinators.
(B7. Sun returns files to community CVS.
(B8. Move on to next group of modules.
(B
(B
(BPlease send your comments/feedback to damien.donlon@xxxxxxx cc'ing