[Fwd: Evolution 1.2.2 & OpenOffice on RedHat 8.0]

-----h;"icccc!cc;c<c8-----

From: Rod Van Meter <Rod.VanMeter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gnome-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Evolution 1.2.2 & OpenOffice on RedHat 8.0
Date: 25 Feb 2003 16:22:18 -0800

h1h*c'e$1g$<cc>cccf%f,h*cf8cc>ccc)ch&cc*ccc'cc!

Hi,

Sorry for the English email, but I'm trying desparately to get Evolution
and OpenOffice working with Japanese fonts on Redhat 8.0

I'm up to the stage, with Evolution, that it displays (some) menus in
Japanese, and will even display the subject correctly in Japanese in the
preview pane.  But, it never displays the body of the message correctly
-- not in the preview pane, nor in a separate window, just squares or
underlines on the screen.

I can type in Japanese, and see the hiragana as I type, but after the
henkan, it becomes just squares on the screen.

I have tried selecting different fonts and sizes in
Tools->Settings->Font Preferences, and get different behavior, but never
the correct thing.  The set of fonts I'm offered there is pretty
limited.

OpenOffice is similar.

I added

       <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType</dir>
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts/ja/misc</dir>
        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf (does this recurse? That would make the latter
two entries unnecessary), and that's how I got to at least partially
working, but can't get any farther.

Does anyone here have this working?  THEN I can send in Japanese to this
list :-).

Thanks,

		--Rod